Wednesday, June 5, 2019

Strength

I have strength.
I have strength when I am curled up in a ball in bed after the 5th day of my flare up, not ready to give up.
I have strength when my pain medicine is making me spin and nauseous, but I'm not going home from work.
I have strength when the nurse prods me with a needle for the 4th time because my veins are acting like twizzlers in my arm.
I have strength during an EMG when the doctor tells me he doesn't really 'think' I have Thoracic Outlet Syndrome, even though I've been diagnosed for the better part of 9 years.
I have strength when I go in for another upper scope with the fear that it has something to do with my TOS surgeries.
I have strength after the Doctor tells me that my paralysis that I already have in my esophagus could have gone further into my digestive tract.
I have strength when the Doctor tries to prescribe me anti-depressants for 'stomach cramps,' because I need one more medication and problem in my life.
I have strength as I take my digestive issues into my own hands because there's no way I'm touching that crap.
I have strength as my fatigue cloud kicks into high gear during the third meeting at work.
I have strength as I have my third cup of coffee and nod off while writing another email.
I have strength staring at the piled up dirty laundry I let lay in baskets another day because I need to rest.
I have strength when I push through the second half of my walk with the dogs because they need the exercise..... and so do I.
I have strength as I push the cart through Walmart, anxiety through the roof, just so I can put food on the table tonight.
I have strength after hours of yard work I know will put me into a flare up but it's so damn pretty when it's finished.
I have strength when I bail on friends the third time in a row because I'm just too tired and depressed to put on a smile.
I have strength as I finally shower after the fourth day of contemplating how much energy it's going to take me.
I have strength when I think about the difficult road that was placed in front of me, only to be stronger and smarter for the next portion of the journey.
I have strength when I stare into the mirror, still trying to understand myself completely and be OK with me the way I am.
I have strength as my fingers trace all of my scars that were placed on me by the devil himself, trying to pull me all the way under but failing.
I have strength.
I have strength because I am still here today, fully alive and breathing and conscious.
I have strength because I haven't given up.
I have strength because I am a warrior.
I have strength, and so do you.


Equanimity,

Kelsey

4 comments:

  1. We’ve been wondering about you. Since you left FB. I’m sorry things are tough and your strength is admirable. Hang in there TOS sister! ❤️

    Alisha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alisha! I hope everyone is doing well. I miss my TOS family but didn't want the distraction anymore. I hope you are doing well too. Life is tough, but we are so much tougher. <3

      Delete
  2. Many, many hugs darlin! Hang in there. I've got the esophagus motility issues as well :/. Tis not fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! Motility issues suck. Especially since I'm a foodie and love cooking. There are ways around it though. :) Hope all is well and thank you for reading <3

    ReplyDelete